Monday, October 28, 2013

What Halloween Means To Me.



Fall is a time of change; plants die, vacations end, school is in full swing, and the weather becomes bi-polar. Screw what the calender says, Halloween begins when the leaves change, the temperature drops, and the air smells like what I can only describe as bacon-bits-ish. Every year the Halloween spirit seems to hit further and further away from the actually month. Buzz about Haunted Attractions, TV specials, and Holiday themed treats makes you curse that it's still summer.This year the spirit hit me towards the end of July. I've always hated summer, especially where I live, so it's difficult not to wish fall was here already.



My family has always been into holidays. My parent's anniversary is on Valentines Day (smart move), I have gotten Easter Baskets for as long as I can remember, we go see fireworks, and we have boxes dedicated to each Holidays decorations. Christmas and Halloween are the big ones though. I love Christmas a lot, so don't get wrong, but Halloween is the true "Season of Giving". Halloween sees thousands of people giving strangers the one thing they want, so Christmas can give up on being about selflessness.



I have always loved Halloween. I can remember almost every costume I've ever worn. There was the time I was Shaggy from Scooby-Doo, and was too sick to Trick r Treat, so I had to hand out candy. I was also a Vampire a lot when I was super young (my parents aren't the most original). Halloween always seemed like a way to conquer your fears you want candy, you have to face that scary ass Freddy. Halloween is a celebration of fear, just like horror films. You can be a kid again, get scared, and eat lots of candy. Halloween shows that it's okay to be afraid, and that's why it's the best holiday there is.


No comments:

Post a Comment